Friday, September 30, 2005

PMA under siege

Last Sunday, I had a privilege to hear BGen Gudani speak in church. He spoke about ingredients of success in life and he spoke of several other things, one of which was his scheduled attendance on the inquiry regarding the Hello Garci controversy. And then Wednesday came, the Superintendent spoke to us during lunch and from there we learned about the sudden issues that surround our dear Assistant Superintendent and Assistant Commandant, both of which has been relieved of their duties as personnel of the Philippine Military Academy. Then finally, this morning the Commandant spoke to us in the mess hall regarding the false reports that there was a mass walk out on the cadets because of these recent controversies. The media was allowed to film us to give proof that indeed all the reports that came out are just mere imaginations of the fickle minds of some people. Well, what do I have to say about all this things? I know that our regulation specifically sanctions those who make opinions publicly that do not have explicit permission from the Superintendent but then again this is not something that I think will violate that regulation, to present an opinion is the same thing as what I do when I write for the Corps Magazine.
First and foremost, I have to say that I look up to the Generals that are now in control of the PMA. I admire the Commandant because I really feel how so concern he is with how we will be as future officers of the Armed Forces. I must also say that I also admire General Gudani. I see him every sunday in church and being the outspoken person that I am, I oftentimes chat with him regarding things, in fact he calls me by first name. The truth of the matter is I believe that what General Gudani said was true. We are supposed to give him a testimonial parade and review tommorrow for his retirement and it was cancelled because of this recent events. Having known this man personally, I regard him as a role model an epitome of a true soldier. Well, if you think about it, this person has everything to lose and nothing to gain because of his revelations. I see in him the courage to stand by what is true irregardless of the circumstances. Some people will say that my young mind is too innocent to meddle with this things but then this is something that will say a lot about how I will be when the time comes that I am faced with difficult decisions. Each day as I go on with my training, I am faced with instances where I have to choose between the easier wrong and the harder right. I have to remain steadfast on my convictions irregardless of upperclassmen who do not respect one's personal opinions regarding things. Here, I have to decide for myself once and for all what kind of person I want to become and then pursue it no matter what the circumstances are. Sometimes I think about things, about hard choices that I will be making, about considerations that may involve my life, the lives of the soldiers that I will lead, their families and my own family, and believe it or not I have come to realize that doing the right thing sure is hard. I pray that when the time comes I will be able to muster enough courage to say the truth regardless of the circumstance. I hope people will come to realize how the truth can rock mountains even those so powerful, even the presidency......
I hope I'm not getting myself into trouble....

No comments: