Thursday, September 19, 2013

A fallen Mistah

This morning, I was greeted by the sad news that my classmate was the latest fatality in Zamboanga City. He is to be the fourth in my class, all four of which died in battle.

About a week ago, I had an animated conversation with a neighbor about this incident in Zamboanga City. As I was not aware of varying opinions circulating about the incident, that conversation provided me some insight as to how the public perceived that incident. What made me more involved in that conversation was when I learned that there were some Filipinos who think that the whole thing was a gimmick in order to divert people's attention away from the Pork Barrel scam. I found that offensive as actual people are dying over there. I am more enraged now considering that somebody I personally know has fallen.

The thing that set me off is the careless habit of people to just say what they want without any regard as to what their words really mean. It troubles me more that while many people especially in social media can pretend to be concerned with the way they comment on issues, very few actually participate in real activities that promote peace, patriotism and social responsibility. While it is easy to post away reactions to corruption and other similar sins, it is so hard to find people who are willing to sacrifice just a little bit to better society. While everybody condemns war, only a few works for peace.

I speak of these things not only as someone who just lost a comrade in arms. More importantly, I say this things as one of the may government workers who still fight it out not just against the MNLF but for a better citizenry who should do more rather than say more. My classmate is gone and the rest of us will try harder to glorify his sacrifice. He is a good man who has a family like
many of us. He died a hero, fighting for a country he loved. I hope that his death will inspire us to do more, help more and pray more. Walang ibang tutulong sa bayan natin kundi tayo tayo ring mga Pilipino.

Salamat Mistah sa sakripisyo. We shall prevail and your death will never be in vain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

condolence sir. masidlak10