Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Reasons to 'DIS'-obey

This afternoon, as me and my room mates are preparing our uniforms for noon mess formation we came into this argument about regulations and helping others to survive. Our debate came after one said that by reporting other cadets when one is a posted guard we are in fact endangering their status as cadets. I reacted saying asserting that the purpose of the regulation is for it to be followed, if we think that way then we might as well discard the regulations. I further said that cadetship is not about survival but about becoming better people fit to become leaders of the country's armed forces and perhaps the country.
Well that was our heated argument and it made me a little violent finally I began to think about things. With all the so many changes that are being implemented to the Corps right now, I wonder if I can still cope up or say that there is in fact a reason to obey. Last weekend, it took me several hours before I can finally go on privilege because of this new rule that we have to pass this examination. This is a 30 item, true or false examination about the Graybook(this is what we call our rule book). The thing with this exam is that getting a perfect score is the only way to pass-- meaning we have to know the regulation to the letter. I am not really a person who complains to much about the things that are subjected to me as a cadet. Although I have my opinions, I have long ago surrendered my right to question. And then there is this prohibition of doing roadruns during our open time in the morning despite of the requirement that we run at lest two kilometer a week. The new order states that I only run before or after my PE class, which by the way is boxing. Meaning, after battling it out with the punching bag or sparring with a classmate in a 3 round boxing match, I will still have to reserve enough strength so that I can comply with the running requirement. That means that during my open time I will just stare at nothingness maybe sleep and cross my fingers as I hope that I will still be able to run the distance within the required time period. Are we taught to obey or are we given reasons to disobey?
As I said, I have accepted that my right to question is no longer mine, but there was never a time that I surrendered the right to have opinions. I know I will still follow, although I will have to spend more time MEMORIZING the Graybook so that I can go on privilege on a weekend or even if I will have to endure more fatigue finishing my required roadruns. But I will do that because I want to graduate, they can do anything but they can not stop me from graduating. The bottom line here is I am beginning to see these changes as reasons for me to disobey-- to ignore my pledge of loyalty and hate my superiors for being so inconsiderate simply because I agreed to a creed of military professionalism. I really hope they read this and that they reprimand me for voicing this out in my blog because even if I declare this things in world wide web for the rest of the world to see, they will see the obedience I exhibited unblemished. At the end of the day I am a soldier and I will follow orders. Not because I agree to these orders but because I have embraced this path. I believe that the moment I disobey I am not credible to complain, so I give it to them. But nothing can stop me from feeling bad about all that they are doing, about their "bright" ideas, about their insensitivity to the sentiments of the cadets, and about their irresponsibility as my superiors.

No comments: